Friday, April 26, 2013

My mantra

man·tra  

/ˈmantrə/
Noun
  1. (originally in Hinduism and Buddhism) A word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation.
  2. A statement that is frequently repeated; a characteristic formula or refrain. 

My mantra has always been a beacon of light that guides my actions. I am not deeply religious but I do take the time to be reflective not just as a parent but also as an individual. I can remember that during some tough moments of my life the mantra I used is "This too shall pass" and true enough they did. A very dear friend of mine, while consoling me after what I thought to be a tremendous loss, said that the sun will always shine no matter what. At that point, teary-eyed and all I held on to those words and the repeated "this too shall pass".

Fast forward more than a decade after, I still have my mantra. But the wonderful serendipitous events that occurred after those dark days were replaced by memories that cannot be fully captured by pictures or transcribed to pen. More than a decade after I started "Following thy bliss" and yes, true enough life is a bliss. Waking up wrapped in my husband's embrace, listening to the giggles coming through the next door, looking at the vast sky from our bedroom window, truly grateful that I resolved to find my passions and traverse the path to this blessed life, this space in the world and amongst the lovely people that I meet personally or virtually, day in and day out.

As I reflect now of how my mantra leads me, I am reminded of Gandhi's words:

“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
   Your thoughts become your words,
 Your words become your actions,
 Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
   Your values become your destiny.”
Perhaps now is the time to add another mantra, one that can go beyond me and my family. Seeing the Mantrabands I fell in love instantly with the mantras. But what appealed to me the most is "Be the change".
I can't wait to get my hands on this lovely reminder. Aysel I will be counting the days :)

So what is your mantra?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment